PROBLEM #1- TOXINS: ETHANOL & ACETALDEHYDE
Alcohol is a poison. It's other name is ethanol, a mild poison that is best consumed in moderation. The problem is that "moderation" means different things to different people. And, ethics aside, it's not so easy to prescribe what is the right amount for another person to consume. It's personal. And much more so than you probably know. In fact, studies claim that almost 50% of hangover is determined by your genes. With different genetics, physiology and liver sensitivity, there truly is no one size fits all for responsible alcohol consumption.
Of course, everyone who drinks alcohol should be over the age of 21, they should always get a sober ride and avoid binge drinking at all cost. Aside from that, there is a wide range of what can be considered moderate or responsible. Age, gender, body-weight and overall health are all determining factors. Each person responds differently to the specific toxins from popular alcoholic beverages like liquor, beer and wine. What are those toxins exactly?
Ethanol itself is a mild toxin, as are other irritants like sulfates, sulfites, nitrites, nitrates and other impurities. Some are naturally occurring, while others are added as preservatives or merely form as products of fermentation. In general, cheap booze typically has far more of these additional toxins and irritants.
However, the most prevalent toxin and the #1 root cause of the suffering is alcohol's evil cousin Acetaldehyde, which is said to be as much as 30 times more toxic than the alcohol that you drank in the first place! Acetaldehyde is present in some drinks; it's considered an impurity in beer, but also forms as a natural product of fermentation, especially in fruit-fermented drinks like cider and wine.
The biggest source of Acetaldehyde comes from the liver itself. Et tu, Brute? Yes, your own liver is making the nasty poison that makes you suffer the morning after drinking. To truly understand Acetaldehyde (ALD) for short, you need a very quick lesson in Alcohol Metabolism. Don't worry, it's relatively painless, far more so than the side effects of ALD in the body, which include nausea, headache, vomiting and in extreme cases death. Sounding like a hangover to you yet?